Friday, April 7, 2023

To Kill a Mockingbird


 


Yesterday I finally realized that the luny bird that chirps all the time is Mocko, my pet mockingbird.  


How did I meet Mocko?  About 2019, Mocko started appearing at the kitchen window and sitting there all day, sometimes pecking, sometimes flying up and down to the top of the window.  He had to get in someway somehow.   He came to Thanksgiving dinner, and sat there for the whole time at the window next to the dining table.  There is a window air conditioner at that window, making it the perfect Mocko perch.  So Mocko had a great time being the center of attention that day.   


There is also a window air conditioner in the living room.  Perfectly, in Mocko's mind, this window was opposite the chair I like to sit in in there.  So he also found me sitting in the living room, and sat there pecking and flying up and down the window in birdie bliss.  


I went on a long trip in 2020 lasting around three months.  Brokenhearted, Mocko gave up and when I came back he didn't visit anymore.  Oh well.  


When I heard the chirping, it did occur to me that it might be Mocko.  That's the kind of thing Mocko might do.  Chirp at me all day and all night.  I had stopped putting out birdseed because of the cats, but lately I decided to resume the habit.  Sometimes I did see feathers here and there that seemed ominous.  It was not long after that that I started to hear the chirping.  


Then, guess what?  Mocko came to the living room window again and discovered me sitting in my chair, just like in the old days!  Mocko's back!


I puzzled though, that I didn't hear the chirping yesterday.  


This morning I went out and put out birdseed.  Next to the bird bench was a pile of mockingbird feathers.  Oh no.  Mocko.   I'm going to make a little cross and put it near the feathers.  


UPDATE


Mocko lives!  It was different unfortunate mockingbird whose feathers were in a pile.  







No comments:

Post a Comment