Thursday, April 20, 2023

Chicken Soup Drama Continues


 


It was generally conceded that the chicken soup Tuesday was a resounding success.  I've been trying to remember the ingredients.  


Suddenly this morning I found an empty box of Lipton's Onion Soup mix.  Oh.  That's right.  That's the secret ingredient.  In fact, the soup name, right on the box,  is "Recipe Secrets."  But when one thinks all this through, what was I trying to accomplish?  I don't like to eat processed food.   The chicken broth was supposed to be unprocessed.  Putting Better Than Bouillon seemed like a minor concession.  But then to put in Lipton Onion Soup mix??  


I laugh at recipe books that all the ladies at church get together and write.  Every recipe starts with "one can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup."  Usually they move from there to, "one party size bag of potato chips, crumbled."   Then they mix it all together and spray a can of cheez whiz on top.   Are these people suicidal?  It makes me shudder.  


I tried to think of why this was OK.  "Read the ingredients," the voice of reason whispered.  I thought I was about to be vindicated.  It would say, "onion powder and salt, period."  It said, "sulfites, onion powder, cornstarch, sugar, salt."  My world was collapsing.   This can't be.  I read the carbs.  "4 grams per serving."  I felt saved.  Until I read "8 servings per package."  32 grams of carbs???  How much do I usually use?  I usually make a package into two cups of soup.   Or else two cups of dip.  


On the counter was a can of the evil Campbell's cream of mushroom soup, which is kept around for emergencies only.    Two and a half servings, 8 grams of carbs per serving.  Twenty grams total carbs per can.   I would have done better to put a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup into the chicken soup.  


I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.  






2 comments:

  1. real onion, carrots, and garlic work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. This whole thing went off the rails a little. I was focused on trying to cook the chicken in a way I don't usually do it and Rabbit Man recommended that I just use water. But, we started talking about seasoning and before you know it, the madness happened. Well, it tastes good but I may not eat it. Next time for sure. Mom likes it.

      Delete