Friday, April 28, 2023

I Wonder If This Is a Good Idea


 

I watched a Youtube video about three kitchen gadgets.  A butter crock.  An omelet maker.  An electric kettle.  


The video showed the water on the stove boiling in 8 minutes and the water in the electric kettle boiling in 4 minutes.  Hmm..  I've had an electric kettle before.  It took around 20 minutes for the water to heat.  I don't remember that it boiled.  Maybe they've improved  electric kettles.  And it turns off.  That was the problem with heating water on the stove.  


I read some of the comments.  There were many people from Europe who wrote of their astonishment to learn that Americans seldom use electric kettles.  Well, the voltage in Europe is 220V.  In the US it's 110V.  The lower voltage causes these electric kettles to heat water more slowly.  And we don't drink much tea.  We make coffee, usually in a coffee maker.   


I have reservations about this idea.  How many electrical outlets does my kitchen have?  Two.  The refrigerator is the main appliance.  Then the microwave.  There is no where to put a kettle.   So it would take some reworking just to plug it in.   


How do I heat water now?  In the microwave.   How would this electric kettle be better?  Well, I just like it.   Some people have pointed out that one can use hot water to make ramen soup and all sorts of things.  All sorts of things I don't eat.   And you can hard boil eggs in them.  Really?  There you go.   


I may try this.  





6 comments:

  1. I use my electric kettle every day to heat a pot of water while I am brushing my teeth... about three minutes. I keep it by my desk, I can hear it click off once it's reached boiling, and I can make a cup of chamomile tea. It's faster when it isn't completely full, but keep the water hot for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you attach a plug strip in your outlet you can attach more appliance, just run them one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the outlets mostly do have power strips. One power strip is plugged into the outlet that the refrigerator is plugged into. This is not really recommended, but there it is. Into that power strip in plugged the toaster oven, which the safety instructions caution against using an extension cord or power strip with. That also is what it is. And with the toaster oven there, 100% of the counter space in the kitchen has been used. So then the kettle could go on top of the toaster oven and plugged into the forbidden power strip, which is probably what I'll do.
      The other option is to plug it into the microwave outlet. That is a busy little outlet. The only counter there is the home of the microwave. In order to plug in the Instant Pot, I put a cooke sheet over the burners of the stove and suspend the cord over the place where the microwave lives. The Instant Pot cord is just long enough to reach the outlet from there. That used to be the outlet where we plugged in the range. That was done with an extension cord looped over the microwave. I got rid of that range and got one that is only gas. However, that is a faulty range, and has presented new hazards. But there might be enough room to either put the kettle in front of the microwave, or else on a cookie sheet on top of the stove with an extension cord to reach the outlet. This eliminates using the burners on the stove. Or else using the microwave. The desk? Well, that's where I have a power strip plugged in that is already filled to capacity. Then there's the bathroom. There is no outlet in the bathroom. This house was built in 1940 and still has the original wiring. Really, there are no outlets that aren't filled up. So something would probably have to go. The refrigerator? The microwave? The toaster oven? Maybe, but I mostly use that inside of the stove since the stove is faulty. Probably on top of the toast oven. Not on the desk though. My kitchen is practically useless.

      Delete
    2. I use the toaster oven instead of the stove, not inside the stove. My spell checker seems to have thought inside was better than instead.

      Delete
    3. no one could have ever foreseen the number of kitchen gadgets available to clutter the counter.

      Delete