Friday, September 29, 2023

Mad Mooey


 


Much ink has been spilled over Mad Cow Disease.  Even so, I didn't really know much about it until the last few weeks.  This most likely is at least partly because the news was downplayed, if not actually a pack of lies.   Maybe also willful ignorance on my part.  


I had stopped eating beef a year ago.  Nothing to do with fears of Mad Cow Disease.  I had spent big money on Angus burgers, because I had had so much trouble tolerating most of the other hamburger or even steak.  They were, and maybe still are, putting "pink stuff" in the beef, that really turned me inside out.  "Oh, get Angus," said Mrs. Billingsley.  Weeeeell...  My Angus experience took gross to a whole new level.  I've even tried to eat beef since then and just can't force it down.  So, I gave up on beef.  If what I saw that terrible day was true, and it was, I knew that there was trouble in the meat industry.   


Then what?  Eat chicken, pork, fish.  I began to practically live off barbeque.   The next thing to go was dairy.  This was also due to my own intolerance of dairy.  Nothing mooey in my diet.  


So why is it that swine seems to be immune to prions?  Well, they are resistant, not quite immune.  There are no known cases of naturally transmitted spongiform encephalopathy in swine.  They are partially immune to meat industry shenanigans.   The hogs aren't a source of milk, since that just doesn't work very well.  The Mad Cow Disease started because our cousins in the UK decided to feed dairy cows meat renderings of all sorts in the form of feed pellets.  This included sheep carcasses with scrapie, since scrapie was not thought to be contagious.  Bad idea.  Meat protein had been found to increase the weight of cows, and also increase milk production.  However, this feed was not usually given to hogs because hogs didn't need much encouragement to gain weight, and they weren't used for milk.   But when the contaminated feed was given to hogs, there was still no known transmission of prion disease.  


Oh, Mad Cow wasn't and isn't a problem in the US.  Really?  In 1985 a mink farm in Wisconsin had an outbreak of a prion brain disease, "Mad Mink Disease," in 4,400 mink.  The farmer had been a careful keeper of records, and documented that the mink had been fed meat derived from downer cows from neighboring dairy farms.   At about that time, Chronic Wasting Disease became a nationwide epidemic among deer and elk.  Two hunters in their twenties died of CJD.  "Nothing to do with hunting or hamburgers," it was found.  Just an unfortunate sporadic event that happened twice.  Somehow, in Kentucky, folks developed prion disease after eating squirrel brains, which was considered "a delicacy."   The same thing happened in Texas.  In Georgia, brain sandwiches made from cow brains are still eaten.  OK, another bad idea.  And only a month ago, a 21 year old woman in Arizona died of CJD.  This was diagnosed as sporadic, and just a one in a million fluke.  Some experts have even gone so far as to assert that CJD can't be transmitted by eating infected meat.  In addition, it was recently found that up to 13% of autopsied Alzheimer's patients were victims, not of Alzheimer's, but CJD.   Some experts have set the percentage as high as 25%.    


Surely we've learned our lesson?  No, we still feed dogs and cat food containing renderings from cows, and I suppose sheep with scrapie.  What could go wrong?  


So, I guess I need to let this subject go.   I'll let you know if I come down with CJD.   







11 comments:

  1. https://www.economist.com/podcasts/2023/09/27/how-scientists-aim-to-extend-human-lifespans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! I'll listen to this this evening. ❤️

      Delete
    2. I listened to this podcast. I'm glad I found the switch to speed it up. So...anything new? Well, I did find Brian Johnson's thoughts to be interesting. Some of the podcast announcer's factoids were inaccurate. He called Rapamycin an immunosuppressant. Well, it can be used for that if you take high doses every day. It doesn't have this effect if you take it once a week, which is how it's used in anti aging. Dasatinib is a senolytic, which removes senescent cells from the body. Grape seed extract does this too. I don't know how it compares with Dasatinib, but it isn't by prescription. Snorting stem cells? Hm. This is news to me, but a number of people have had good results from going to places like Costa Rica and getting stem cell therapy. I think that costs around $30,000. So this is a maybe. I think it's on the back shelf for most people due to price. Plasma infusions? It sounds good, but impractical for most people. I think donating blood every month or so is a good idea. It causes the body to replace a pint of blood with new blood produced by the body. All these people skipped some ideas that I have. First of all, fasting is a good rejuvenator and overall healthful thing to do. Hot baths. Sauna. As far as caloric restriction, I think a low carb or keto diet does as much, if not more, good. There was a little about supplements by Brian Johnson. It was mostly OK, but I don't think vitamin E is necessary to take. Do I believe immortality is possible? I am sure immortality is possible. Will people figure it out? I doubt it. I do think a lot more can be done with anti aging than most people realize.

      Delete
    3. semaglutide = caloric restriction

      Delete
    4. Oh? I thought it was a weight loss drug

      Delete
    5. So you don't really have a plan...

      Delete
  2. Have you heard of Brian Johnson?
    https://blueprint.bryanjohnson.co/

    The podcast covers him, but I was more interested in the other work that was covered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've heard about him. I think I saw a video about him. It sounds interesting, but I think he spends more money than necessary on his anti aging efforts.

      Delete
    2. The internet said donating blood 3x a year is associated with a reduced risk of heart attack for men, less so for women. They suspect that's due to menstruation.

      Delete