Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Eleven Herbs and Spices. The Fried Chicken Verdict is In!


Sometimes on Tuesday there is a perfect storm that compels a trip to Kentucky Fried Chicken.  And so it was yesterday.  


I have wished for better from KFC.  The chicken is overcooked, tasting like reheated leftovers.  And way too expensive.   I'll fix them.  


I had gone to Walmart for a prescription and decided to go to the deli and buy the Walmart version of fried chicken.  Just a couple of pieces.  Then I would buy the same thing from KFC and compare the two.  While I already knew the Walmart fried chicken was overcooked, it was less expensive than KFC, so if they were both the same level of taste, maybe the deli would be a better buy.  


What a time I had at the deli.  I ordered two legs and two thighs.  "We don't sell two pieces.  You have to buy six pieces."  "Well, OK.  Three legs and three thighs."  "You have to buy six of the same thing."  ????  I really couldn't figure out what the Walmart chicken buying rules were, and eventually she agreed to put chicken in a bag and charged me $7.  I thought it was three legs and three thighs.  Then off to KFC.  


When I got home, we had fried chicken.  First I opened the Walmart chicken.  I couldn't figure out what it was.  Three legs and three small fried mysteries.  Wings?  Three wing parts maybe.  This was puzzling.  Well, let the taste test begin.  


As expected, Walmart tasted like overcooked leftovers.  Still, it was probably a C-.  Then we each tried a KFC leg.  It tasted for all the world like the Walmart fried chicken.  Either Walmart rivaled KFC, or they were both equal failures.  It actually seemed that KFC goes over to Walmart and buys fried chicken, and rebrands it as KFC.  


So, there's still plan C.  Plan C is the Dodge Gas Station.   Problem.  It tastes like they change the oil once every six months.  Bitter and rancid.  


All of these eating establishments are a few blocks from the chicken plant.  Yet, fried chicken can't happen.   





When did KFC start making leftover fried chicken?  It coincided with the point when they opened a buffet in the dining area.  They fry chicken, haul it out to the buffet, and the next day sell what's left from the buffet at takeout.   It's no secret that Walmart leaves the chicken under heat lamps all day,  and sells leftovers.  


I guess we've reached the bitter end with fried chicken. 


UPDATE


I gave the Dodge Gas Station chicken a second chance, and this time it was delicious.  They don't leave it sitting around as leftovers because they don't make much, and it was juicy and yummy.  I visited the Casey Gas Station to see what the competition was doing.  No chicken.  They had a busy little pizza parlor.  


Well, if I ever decide to get pizza I'll visit Casey Gas Station.  


So that was it for fried chicken around here.  


 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment