Thursday, September 21, 2023

At the Doctor's Office.


 

Yesterday I had an appointment at the doctor's office.  Uh oh.  Here we go.   It was raining and I considered cancelling because I'm afraid to drive in the rain.   I mentioned this to Mrs. Billingsley.  She said, "Well, drive 100 miles an hour and the raindrops will miss you,"  OK.  I told her I had an appointment with the doctor, but I was afraid to go.  It was raining and I was dreading dealing with the doctor.  I had been planning out for days how I was going to explain the situation with headache pills.  That had taken a strange turn.   I got ready to leave and she bid me farewell.  It had been nice knowing me.  "I'm not going anywhere.  I'm just going to sit out in the car and pray."  


I drove to the next county.  There were raindrops everywhere.   Blood was successfully drawn in the lab.  So one hurdle was jumped.  I was subjected to having my weight and blood pressure taken.   Then, in to see the doctor.  Somehow I feel I have finally found a relatively sympathetic doctor which I don't want to screw up.   The main conversation was about prescriptions.  Was there balm in Gilead?   He was focused mostly on the computer screen which gave me a chance to study him a little.   His hair was a bit of a wreck.   How old was he? I wondered.  Had he put on weight?   


After some discussion about a lotion for a rash, I made my request.  "Have you ever heard of Rapamycin?" I asked.  I figured he wouldn't want to admit to any area of lack of knowledge.   Basically, I wanted a prescription for Rapamycin.  He looked it up.  "It says that's for organ transplant patients to prevent rejection," he told me.  "Have you had a kidney or liver transplant?"  "Yes, all of them."  I wanted Rapamycin because it has been found to have anti aging properties that cause rejuvenation at the cellular level.   But this was not when taken at the level of a transplant patient.  It was when it was taken only once a week, about 5 mg.  He actually thought it was reasonable but the VA wouldn't allow him to prescribe it.  I told him I had supposed it would be that way.  I had brought a box of it with me, and pulled it out of my purse to show him.   "I got this from India," I said.  "I found it on the internet."   I had gotten it at a very low price and I was thinking of stocking up on it.  I asked him if I could have a blood test for Sirolimus, which is Rapamycin, to gauge how potent this brand was, and if it was working.  I toyed with the idea of asking for a prescription for it that I could fill somewhere else.   I decided not to muddy the water with that at this time.  He looked over the box curiously.  "Sure, we can do a blood test for Sirolimus levels."  Yay!  


Soon I was back in the lab, and then I was off.   My day had just gotten better.  






No comments:

Post a Comment