Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Burning Boxes?


 

So many reasons not to burn boxes.  I don't want to go outside.  The birds are mad at me and will peck my eyes out because I haven't put out birdseed.  The feral cats will rush me.  The chiggers will bite me.  The UPS person will show up and yell at me again.   


I had to summon my courage and take out the trash since it's trash day.  I checked the mail.  The sky had been overcast, and I wanted to burn boxes on a rainy day to limit fire hazards.  But, wait.  The sun was out!  This actually motivated me, because there was still time while the the grass was damp.  So I carried out boxes.  When about half of them were out I realized that the wind was picking up, and the sky had almost instantly turned dark.  Hurry!  Boom!  Uh oh.  Lightning and thunder.  


Yet still I continued.  I began to hear plinking of rain on the boxes.  Bad timing.  Will they even burn?  So I struck a match and sat on a bench to monitor.  Then the rain began in earnest.  





OK.  Boxes burned.  I'm soaked.  I better rest.  





6 comments:

  1. Jean got a metal barrel to burn her boxes in. She doesn't like paying to have her garbage hauled away and carries the unburnable to the dump in bags for $2 each. The barrel protects her from nosey neighbors too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had to pay $2 a bag it would cost more to go to the landfill than to have trash service. The way the landfill here works is you drive over a bridge going in that weighs your vehicle. Then going out they weigh you again and charge by weight. They got confused when I went there and didn't charge me. Fortunately though, I don't have nosey neighbors.

      Delete
    2. Believe me, I've turned over this idea in my mind.

      Delete
    3. Problem. Is it harder to put up with the trash person or go to the landfill? Well, collection of trash is $25 a month. Also don't forget. You have to buy gas to go to the landfill. Here's what Jean should do. Drive to the nearest rest stop and put her garbage in the trash cans there. Or sneak into a church parking lot and put it into their dumpster. Mrs. Billingsley has done that too.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete