Thursday, November 9, 2023

I Found Dairy That Works


 

Many moons have passed since I've eaten dairy of any kind.   Why?  I don't know why.  I know that eating dairy sent me through the roof.   Drinking cream in coffee would be foolish.  So why?   Lactose?  I'm sure lactose isn't a plus for most people over eight.   But taking many lactose tablets didn't fix the problem.   Those tablets are expensive too.  Now what?  First black coffee.  Then eventually coffee with a coconut cream/almond milk/chocolate flavoring.   I became leery of dairy in any form.  


My general health improved without dairy, like weight loss, and lower blood pressure.  I told the nurse when I saw the doctor about quitting dairy.  "But what about calcium deficiency?" she cried.  "Are you taking a supplement?"  I thought this was ludicrous, but since I do take supplements, I reassured her that yes, I am taking a supplement.   Well, sometimes I take supplements.  


Along the way I started to pay attention to the Mad Cow outbreak, and became suspicious of dairy for that reason.   And beef also went by the wayside.  


Then I began to think that organic dairy might be a solution.  Where could that be found?  Eventually, my research focused on Braum's Dairy, which happens to be semi local.  Reading about their efforts I learned that their cows are grass fed, and completely vegetarian during the winter.  That seemed to be a safeguard against Mad Mooey in my mind.  But not only that.  The Braum's herd is the largest A2 herd in the country.  What's A2?  A1 and A2 are forms of casein in milk.  The A1 is the predominant form on the market.  However, some people don't tolerate A1 casein, and using A2 milk solves the problem.  Well, that would be nice.  All the Braum's dairy products, ice cream, milk, half and half, cheese, cottage cheese, and whipping cream are A2.  Every cow in their herd has been genetically tested to be a producer of A2 milk.   And besides that,  the fat free and reduced fat milk has been concentrated, with one third of the water removed from the milk.  This is another aspect of Braum's Dairy that is unique to them.   Braum's also does not give the cows antibiotics or growth hormone.  In the near future, Braum's plans to also remove lactose from reduced fat milk.  


All this sounded like a good idea, and maybe I would try Braum's Dairy.  So I did go to Braum's, and bought milk, cream, half an half, ice cream and cheese.  Today I put cream in my coffee.   I had no problem with it.  This actually surprised me.  I ate some ice cream.  Also no trouble.   I've been tested for milk allergy and told to stay far away from dairy, and that I was allergic to casein also.  But I suppose that was A1 casein.  


Something that really astonishes me is that, besides A2 casein apparently solving the dairy problem,  somehow I found out about it.   I seemed to have just stumbled upon it.  






8 comments: