Friday, July 21, 2017

Radioactive fallout protection




I've heard about nuclear fallout all my life.  At one time it was not uncommon for some families to build a bomb shelter.  

Eventually people began to just give up.  They couldn't protect themselves.  

I think one can't protect themselves from any and all exposure, but one can reduce exposure to the point that it is survivable.  

Oh, by living underground?  Not necessary in my opinion.    

Let's assume something terrible has happened, not to mention names but their initials are Fukushima.  Getting information of how concerned one should be seems to be impossible as different agencies try to downplay the dangers of fallout.   The nuclear power plant industry certainly doesn't want any alarmists convincing people that nuclear power plants are not perfectly safe.  Think of all the nuclear physicists that need jobs!  

Should this or any other event cause you to fear that you may be irradiated, there are things to do that aren't hard, and most of them are things you should do anyway.  

First of all, one needs to remember that radioactive fallout that falls on your body is not as bad as radioactive fallout that gets inside your body, either by breathing or by eating it.  Just stay out of the fallout as much as you can, then take a bath, change clothes and wash your hair when you are exposed.  

Avoid exposure as much as you can, but don't despair if you are exposed.  Just wash it off.  

How can you avoid exposure?  Stay inside.  The time when the most nuclear fallout is coming down is when it rains.  So therefore, don't go out in the rain.  Avoid driving or going anywhere in the rain.  "But I have to!" some say.  OK, go ahead.  Just try to avoid when you can.  

What about breathing radiation and eating it?  As far as breathing, you would do well to use an air filter machine, and to clean the filter on your air conditioner or furnace often, maybe once a week.  Is that so hard?  People would do well to do that anyway.  

Not eating or drinking radiation takes a little more thought.  I didn't buy a water distiller because of radiation.  I bought it because the water around here is funky, the city water!  They send me reports that say it is as pure as the driven snow, and yet it has pink slime in it!  So I bought a water distiller.  It's not that hard!  Yes, I drink distilled water.  And that eliminates the radiation too.  

Also I bought "nascent iodine."  I'm not sure what it is, but I know that it's a good thing to supplement iodine, so I do.  Some have said you can buy Icelandic seaweed and supplement iodine.  Well, if you like.  Again, taking iodine is another thing that people should do anyway.  

May I say that when I started drinking distilled water and taking nascent iodine, I felt better in general.  Probably not because of radiation.  Most likely because I wasn't drinking the mold in the water and I needed more iodine.  

Then there's the problem.  How to avoid radiation in food.  The government admits that milk is contaminated because cows eat grass with radiation and then produce irradiated milk.  Well, do you need milk?  Limit amounts of milk.  

I quit eating Pacific seafood.  I'm not convinced it matters, but I wasn't crazy about it anyway.  I eat fresh water fish.  

Does it matter if you eat animal protein or should you go vegetarian?  I don't know.  I only know with animals one has to deal with the animal's history.  That's true of vegetables, but it's more controllable.  

Either way, let's just concentrate on vegetables.  Yes, wash them.  Peel them.  Stay away from GMO because they have lost their minds in the GMOs.  What can you eat?  If at all possible, start growing your own.  And once again, this has always been good advice.  There are so many pitfalls in food production when the food supply is industrialized.  Oh, you cry, I am not a gardener and I don't have time!  Well, I have the perfect solution.  Invest in a tower garden.  You can easily produce enough, even indoors, to make a system pay for itself.  Also, consider growing and eating sprouts.  If you had a nice supply of organic vegetables, it would do a lot to cover the problem of food tainted by a whole lot of problems.  Just the pesticides alone are a good reason to get out of the industrialized food chain.  

I don't think people should worry all the time about radiation or pesticides.  I think there are basic healthy things that people should do that cover a lot of bases.  We won't live forever, but we could easily live 10 or 20 extra years, which translates to almost a fourth of our lives, and those could be better years if one takes care of themselves.  

Lastly, shelter.  As you can see, just being inside is a lot of the plan.   Like other things, the level of urgency is an important consideration.  Do you live in tornado alley?  Is there a tornado warning?  Go into a shelter.  What?  No shelter?  Well, start thinking about one in the future.  

Lately, due to the tornado menace, I've been considering a tornado shelter.  Imagine my surprise to see that a new idea has appeared on the horizon!  The dome home.  You don't have to build a new home.  You can if you like.  Just build a dome storm shelter.  I like this idea because I don't like hiding underground.  I like the dome idea better.  The domes can be made to protect against a variety of problems, like EMPs, tornados, floods, all sorts of hazards.  Oh, and earthquakes. The wind hazard is what they seem to be best at, and that's no small hazard.  

I've thought this all out, and that's as safe as I know how to be.  

I don't think these are draconian ideas.  These are good ideas for everyday life.  


No comments:

Post a Comment