Friday, October 20, 2023

The Egg Pod Explodes.

 



I decided to hard boil a dozen more eggs.  I used the Egg Pod again.  


I reread the safety precautions and instructions.  Questions arose in my mind.  What country would use these awkward sentences?  Probably China.  What country would suggest in any way that using their product might cause an explosion?  Probably China.  Besides awkward sentences in English, they had written everything again in French.  I wondered how well they did with that.   I looked around to find the country of origin.  Surprise.  China.  Why could the manufacturer not put a little line on the included cup for 1/4 C and 50 ml, seeing that not everyone knows what 50 ml is?   How long do they suppose people will be able to keep track of the little 50 ml cup?  


I attempted to do a perfect job following instructions.   I supposed that it would be something like yesterday.  Three batches of four eggs.  The first one slightly less cooked since the microwave hadn't warmed up.  The eggs exploded to smithereens.  It looked like I had put them in a blender and made a liquid egg mess.  I was not able to pry the bottom insert out to clean up underneath.  It seemed to have glued itself on.  The odd little vent had popped up.  


I decided to try again.  I made two more batches.  One of them burned one of the eggs in a strange way, but the others seemed OK.  After these two batches I quit because by now the microwave had been running for 27 minutes.  So now I have seven hard boiled eggs.  Yay.  


What happened?  I would say this is a quirky device.   I can only imagine all the explosions in China trying to work out the kinks before marketing.   When did they decide it needed a vent?   I suppose that was an afterthought.  






2 comments:

  1. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/01/reader-center/april-fools-day-a-stranger-times.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article
    This is a good story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New York used to be an exciting place. I liked the story about the evil parrot.

      Delete