Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Rabbit Explosion

 



Sometimes Rabbit Man explodes.  He's a powder keg to start with.  Usually no one dares light a match around him.  


He likes to call precious Mother on Tuesdays, but in the past couple of weeks, instead of calling he has written.  Due to a glitch in the matrix, I called him this morning, which I usually don't do.  "Hello Mama!" he said.  I'm not sure that he understands that Mama isn't capable anymore of calling him herself, and I told him it was me.  


So what did Rabbit Man want to argue about today?  Scripture.  Oh oh.  This is not his strong subject.  He chooses this subject frequently, having gotten away with it so many times, since the majority of people don't know much about the subject.  But today he spoke to me, who knows a lot about the subject.  How so?  Memorization and meditation.    And why do I do that?  Because a long time ago I found out that this made my life a lot better.  


Once I told him that I was memorizing the Book of the Revelation.  "Why would you do that?" he asked.  I was doing that so that I could make sense of it because it's a complicated book.  And there is no end to people out there that will tell you all about it, and yet they don't know much about it.   Rabbit Man has himself told me all about it.  I did memorize the Book of the Revelation.  Now at least I know what it really says.  


And so he endeavored to shout me down with a mishmash of ideas.  But I wasn't to be confused by mishmash.  


So today his argument was that everyone will go to heaven.  He started on this because I asked him if he believed that our father went to heaven.  Oh, of course.  Why?  Because everyone goes to heaven, he said.  I asked him if he believed the Bible was infallible, seeing as how he was using it as the basis of his argument.   He seemed to concede that it was, but in a way with a few backdoor escapes.  He first wanted to argue about whether the Old Testament Law mattered.  No, he explained, because Jesus died to cancel it.  "Well, then why did Jesus say "Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law till all be fulfilled,"?  OK, let's change the subject.  He pulled out a favorite verse.  "Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.  What does every mean?" he demanded.  .... Let's just change the subject back to Matthew 5. ...  "If thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee, for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.  So why do you  think Jesus spoke of hell and people going to hell, if people don't go to hell?"  I asked him.  "Now you're being a scribe and Pharisee!!  You want people to go to hell!!"  "Then why did Jesus say that?  Was Jesus one of the scribes and Pharisees? Did Jesus want people to go to hell? So what do you think the Blood of Christ accomplished?"  ???? No answer.  "Have you committed any sins? How are you going to explain that to God?"  "I'm going to tell God that Jesus died so that everyone in the world will go to heaven.  Therefore I go to heaven," he said.  "Have you ever heard of the Exodus from Egypt?  Why did the Israelites put the blood of a lamb over their doors?  So when the Angel of Death came that night he would pass over the Israelites, but would kill the firstborn of the Egyptians."  "That was the Old Testament."  I couldn't explain to him the significance of the blood of the lamb in Exodus as it pictured the Blood of Christ.  Then he hopped over to the story of the thief on the cross going to heaven.  He wanted to make the point that the thief on the cross wasn't baptized, so if I believed baptism was necessary to salvation, this example proved that it was not.  "That was during the Old Testament times, since Christ hadn't died yet. Anyway, I don't get involved with arguments about baptism being necessary for salvation."   I don't argue that because it's off topic.  


But, as you might expect, all of this was just getting Rabbit Man more and more cranked up.  I was surprised to hear some of his theology and had wanted to hear what it was he actually believed, because he loves to go to the this subject.   His solution?  Explosion.  


I have been worried about Rabbit Man because he has been talking for two weeks about the song, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, by Hank Williams.  He keeps saying he just can't get through the song without crying.   "The whip-or-will part."  Yes, I know.  I know that the song says, "That means he's lost the will to live."  (The whip-or-will.)  I've been concerned that this focus on this kind of thinking is due to being depressed.  So in my opinion, the first thing to do is to quit listening to depressing music.   "When Jim died, I used to listen to a classic rock station all the time.  And then I would cry all the time.  I didn't need any more tears, so I quit listening to the station.  It surprised me to notice how much of that music is depressing."  Oh no.  Oh no.  He's going to play this song on the violin.  Play and sing.  OK.  


"So here's your mother."  He started ranting about me trying to avoid his arguments by passing the phone to Mom.  I gave up and handed the phone to Mrs. Billingsley.  






No comments:

Post a Comment