Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Rabbits Galore


 

A rabbit person I know has issues with me.  Why?  Rabbits don't like know it alls.   In what subject am I a know it all?   I am well versed on diet and metabolism.    This is wrong.    What do I say a lot?   Drastically reduce carbs, eat adequate protein, maybe 80+ grams a day, and fill in the rest with fats.  Is this the recommendation of the AMA?  No, so rabbits decide to "go with the science."  And I don't mind flying in the face of doctors and the AMA. WRONG!!!  Do I even have a stethoscope??   


Sadly, there is much need for reform in rabbit land with the diet.  Rabbits truly believe the Standard American Diet is health food.  What if it fails them somehow?  I guess they go to the doctor for reinforcement of the idea that the SAD diet is OK.   Their doctor told them to "fill up on rice and potatoes."  They have been dutifully obeying, and it isn't causing the hoped for improvements of health.  Well, they just haven't tried hard enough.   I don't even know where this idea came from.  I think there was some credence given because, look at Asia.  Their diet is high in rice.  Japan has one of the longest life spans on earth.  They eat rice!  Therefore I'm wrong wrong wrong.  


OK, I tried a rice diet once.  For four horrific days I ate mostly rice.  That diet finally ended in utter defeat.   Rice just isn't for me.  


What are people really buying with processed food?  Taste?  No.  Economy?  No.  Good nutrition?  No.  It's all 100% about convenience.   Dog food is the same way.  It comes in a can or bag.  Is the dog happy?  He could be happier.  And if you do the math you see that dog food costs a pretty penny.   What does the dog like?  He likes your marinara sauce with meatballs.  Bacon.  Roadkill for dessert.   I started making meatloaf for my dog.  Goodness he was happy.  I had finally figured out what he liked to eat, he thought.  Was it more expensive than dog food?  No.  Dog food is just easier.  


I think the understanding of my diet by people that know me is that I am on a "high protein diet."  I enjoy steaks, chicken thighs, etc.  But the real calorie source for me is fat.   Doesn't this cause high cholesterol and atherosclerosis? No.  The thing that causes all the trouble is high sugar.   High sugar combined with high fat does present dangers.  But that is pretty much the processed food diet at its core.  


 Lately I've been on a roll with "exogenous ketones."  I've been supplementing the keto diet with ketones from ketone salts and MCT oil.   It's helped me.  Crazy me.  I thought it would help others.  Some people don't even go on a keto diet.  They just take ketone supplements.  Well, more power to them.  I think this does a lot of people some good.  Like what?  Well, suppose one has a neurological disorder?  A ketogenic diet has worked wonders for such people.  "But that's so impossible to follow."  I am puzzled about what is so draconian and difficult about a keto diet.  Most of the treats people like can be reinvented in keto recipes that are pretty good.   


So what did I think?  I thought that for all those with all their excuses about a keto diet, who need the benefits of ketosis, there are ketone supplements.  Is that so hard?  


Rabbit Man found ketones triggering.  He told me last week that coconut oil had really made remarkable improvements in their health and mental clarity.  I said that coconut oil is high in ketones.  Oh.  I asked him yesterday how the coconut oil thing was going.  "Oh, we quit coconut oil.  Too many calories."


I suppose I should start praising rice and potatoes and especially high fructose corn syrup.   Then he would never eat them again.  








No comments:

Post a Comment