Saturday, February 11, 2023

I Made Salmon Patties for Dinner


 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttf7stZmGW4


I made salmon patties tonight for dinner.  It was fabulous.  I used the recipe from Black Tie Kitchen on the link above.  Oh, it was tweaked a little:


1 can salmon (14 oz)

2 1/2 oz pork panko 

3 eggs

1/4 red onion diced 

3/4 tsp salt

3/4 tsp garlic powder


I heated my cast iron frying pan on medium low heat, and added a generous amount of avocado oil.  


I made the pork panko  by putting half of a 5 oz bag of pork rinds into a blender and blending it up into something of a powder.  There was about 3/4 of a cup.  I drained the salmon and put it in a bowl and flaked it, then sprinkled it with garlic powder and salt.   I added the onion and three eggs and mixed it all up.  Then I made patties that were about 2 - 3" in diameter.  My recipe made about 9 of them.  


The patties were fried to a golden brown and flipped over and fried on the other side, about 3 minutes per side.  


I made tartar sauce by mixing mayo and sweet relish.  I used my homemade mayo:  


https://draft.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/7249611950753083047/2040892414148494612


After frying half of the patties,  I put a couple of heaping tablespoons of mayo in the remainder of the recipe to test out which tasted best.  I couldn't tell the difference.  


In a perfect world,  cole slaw would have been good with this,  but this time I stopped at having salmon patties.  


I've never made salmon patties before.  When I was a teenager, my mother and my step father liked to go to Michigan to harvest Christmas trees, and took me along to help out.  We sometimes stayed in a campground, and sometimes rented a cabin.  One of the fun things we did is to try to catch salmon.  I never caught one but my step father did, and we ate it.  My mother made part of it into salmon patties.   We went to Canada sometimes, too, as tourists.  


I would say that if I had been told that tonight's patties were crab cakes, and I didn't know better, I might have believed it.  They tasted a lot like that.




No comments:

Post a Comment