Wednesday, September 11, 2019

The Return of Post Office Day.



Every day is Columbus Day for me!  Every Wednesday at least.  Time for the Post Office haul.  

It was Wednesday and I rushed to the Post Office lobby to see what St. Christopher brought me.  Chayote, tamarind, and radishes?  I recognized the radishes, and since I am a salad lover, I took a few.  I went ahead and took a chayote and a basket of tamarinds our of curiosity.  








My dear mother showed up a little while after that with a head of lettuce.  She likes to go swimming, and said they give away produce on Wednesdays at the "aquatic center."  I rushed off to the aquatic center.  

When I got to the general vicinity of the aquatic center, I realized I didn't know where it was.  

I drove around a little and saw an imposing structure on a hill.  Well, let's go see.  The sign said, "County Senior Center."  I wasn't sure, but I went in.  I saw a big room that looked liked a cafeteria, and several ladies "of a certain age" sitting at one of the tables.  "Is it lunch time?" I wondered.  I wish I had asked.  Instead, I was relieved to see boxes of produce on one table and asked if I could have some.  They all looked at me curiously, and their leader said yes.  

I wasn't seeing lettuce.  I saw celery, cauliflower, and radishes. 








I took one celery, two cauliflower, and one more radish to add to my Post Office collection.  I tried to take one more celery.  They had quite a bit, and no takers around.  And plus I'm selfish.  Suddenly the leader of the ladies at the table said, "You're only allowed one." "OK," I answered.  "Do you have any lettuce?"  "No sorry. Just what you see."  "OK THANK YOU!" I smiled and waved and dashed out with a brown paper bag of goodies. 











Wow.  This is great.  

I took the goodies home and asked my mother where the aquatic center is.  It seems she didn't know about the goodies over at the senior center.  She told me it was next to the senior center.  So I drove to the aquatic center and found out that the lettuce was gone! Oh no!!!! 

I'm happy anyway. 












No comments:

Post a Comment