Sunday, February 25, 2024

Call Miss Cleo Now


 


Miss Cleo was an advertiser for psychic readings in the early 2000s.  I enjoyed watching her commercials.  They were over the top ridiculous.  She spoke with a Jamaican accent that I thought was authentic.  But later I learned that she was not Jamaican.  I don't think she ever even visited Jamaica.  She claimed to be a shaman from Jamaica.  I read later that she had written a play in 1998 called For Women Only, and played a character that was a Jamaican woman named Miss Cleo.  


I just loved Miss Cleo and thought she was a scream, not even realizing what a fake she was.  I actually believed she was Jamaican.  I didn't think she knew the future, and one night I was watching TV with Jim and turned to him to make fun of Miss Cleo.  Suddenly the words tripped out of my mouth, "There is about to be a great earthquake."  This disturbed me, since I felt that I am no prophet and have no business making prophesies.  However, immediately after saying this I had the sickening certainty it was true.   The next day, December 26, 2004, there was a 9.1 earthquake off the coast of Sumatra.  The first news report was that there were no injuries.  I scoffed, and said, "There will be a lot of people killed!" to Jim.  And the earthquake caused the Indonesian tsunami that killed 225,000 people.  All of this frightened Jim, and it also unnerved me.  I was just a little bit spooky.    


In the days since then I came to learn that Miss Cleo had died, in 2016 at the age of 53, of cancer.  





No comments:

Post a Comment