Wednesday, January 17, 2024

More Pickled Eggs




I've been wanting to make more pickled eggs because the ones I have have almost disappeared.  They were fabulous.  I had bought a case of 60 eggs at something of a bargain price.  Supposedly.  I've been doing the math in my head and it was not that much of a bargain.  Well, anyway, if you have 60 eggs and you eat 30 of them, how many eggs do you have left?  I don't know.  Zero I think.  I didn't think the eggs would have spoiled as quickly as they did.  When I hard boiled them they were almost spoiled, so I tossed them out.   Well, the financial loss was about $6.  'That's a nice feature of eggs.  Egg disasters are usually not very devastating.   I had five dozen more eggs that were $2.50 a dozen for better eggs.  Well, eggs I like anyway.  They weren't actually bought more recently, but none of these were at all spoiled.   So I think my bargain eggs were already on their way out when I bought them.  That's not a bargain.  I don't even think they cost less.  Five dozen for $12.  How much were the eggs I like better?  Five dozen times $2.50.  $12.50.  Oh dear.   And then to lose 30 eggs.  So I'm older and wiser now.  My sister-in-law had been out and about and saw pallets of 30 eggs for $2 a pallet.  She bought seven pallets and came home with 210 eggs for $14.  My brother then went into overdrive hard boiling eggs to make them all into pickled eggs so they wouldn't spoil.  But this is where I think there may have been unnecessary haste.  I don't put my eggs in the refrigerator and I have had eggs a lot of times that lasted at least a month sitting on the counter.  OK, not 210 eggs, but five to eight dozen.  Why so many?  Well, we eat lots of eggs around here.  Eggs for breakfast, usually half a dozen between us.  Egg salad.  Chicken and tuna salad with hard boiled eggs.  Pickled eggs.  Deviled eggs.  A hard boiled egg for a snack.  And all sorts of times you need a few eggs, like making mayo.   The nutritional value of an egg is unmatched by any other food except human breast milk, having 49% bioavailable protein, compared to 33% for meat and only 17% for beans or whey.  Milk is about 20% bioavailable and hard for many people to digest.  And eggs are full of all sorts of vitamins, minerals and trace elements, since little chickens are completely dependent on the nourishment they derive from the yolk while before they hatch.  Then, too, the price is very affordable.  So I feel I get a lot of nutritional mileage from eating eggs.  And extending this logic, pickled eggs are shelf stable for long periods of time.  So it's nice to be able to have food on hand.  

Another reason to make pickled eggs is that they are a delicious food and so easy to have already made for when one suddenly has the munchies.  So therefore, I'm making pickled egg again.  

One can of sliced beets with the juice
two cups of vinegar
two tablespoons salt
one tablespoon red pepper flakes
one tablespoon allspice
one tablespoon garlic powder
one tablespoon pickling spice 
1/4 cup erythritol 

So that's the plan.  I'm going to boil all the ingredients together except the beets and beet juice.  Then I'm going to put two sliced up jalapeños interspersed with the eggs.  I'm putting in 12 eggs, and I'll make more if I have more room.  This will make 1/2 gallon.  Good good good good.

UPDATE

I made the pickled eggs.  I wound up needing to hard boil more eggs and put 16 eggs in my jar.  I accidentally put 1/2 cup erythritol in in of 1/4 cup.   I bet it tastes good.  The whole project took about 2 hours. 

I used a method of hard boiling eggs that I haven't used before.  It worked pretty well.  I have an electric kettle and I put six eggs at a time in it, turned it on and after it shut itself off, which it does when the water boils, I left the eggs in around 20 minutes.  They weren't overcooked.  One of them cracked, but it was fine.   It's a nice method because the kettle turns itself off after it boils.  If I should forget about the eggs, it would probably still turn out OK.  I may experiment and try a dozen egg at once.  




 

No comments:

Post a Comment