Sunday, January 21, 2024

Ice Storm Chaos


 


Once I was listening to the weather.   "Tornado!  Hide in the bathtub! Do not panic!" the weatherman was saying.  I knew it was time to panic.   Everyone is in a panic right now.   I was looking at my Walmart grocery cart online.  Walmart had removed the water, saying it was sold out.  A lot of my pickup order had been moved to shipping.  "I better check the weather," I thought.  I was in Walmart on Friday.  There must have been 500 cases of water.  I bought two cases.  Now it's all sold out?   


As I suspected, there is an ice storm warning.  The doctor's office called, which is a first for a Sunday evening.  They said they are cancelling all appointments for tomorrow, including mine, due to the weather.  When would I like to reschedule?  It was a relief to hear from them, since I had been worrying about it.  


So this storm is really going to happen? I was thinking.   I filled the bathtub with water, just to be sure we would have water.   I never mentioned the storm to Mom.  She might be anxious about it.  Suppose the lights go out?  Well, then I'll say, "Wow.  It looks like the electric is out."  She may not even notice the ice.   


What is the most frightening thing about an ice storm to me?  It's the trees breaking.  I was in an ice storm a long time ago and woke up at night to a sound like cannons being fired.   That was the sound the trees made when they broke.  





No comments:

Post a Comment