Thursday, November 17, 2022

Egg and Sausage Breakfast #2


 


Recently I wrote about an easy mug breakfast.  I put about two oz of sausage in a mug, microwave it for a minute, remove it, scramble an egg in the same mug and microwave that for a minute, and a nice breakfast is ready.   It's also nice that it reduces cleanup.  So, this has been happening a lot around here.  But wait.  There are some variations.  


A long time ago my husband was astonished, being from Pennsylvania, that I put sugar on top of sausage routinely.  Whaaat?!  After I went keto I used artificial sweetener.  Well, it's not that strange. People think nothing of putting catsup or barbecue sauce on chicken, pork and beef.  It's mostly sugar.  The meat and sugar combo is nice.  


Therefore, I decided to put a liberal amount of artificial sweetener on the sausage patties, and also scramble about a teaspoon of artificial sweetener with the eggs.  I thought it was yummy.  Then it occurred to me to add raspberry preserves on top of both the sausage and the scrambled eggs.  This was sugar free but still, there were a few carbs.  Yes, yes, yes.  This was way better.  


So should eggs and sausage become too boring, sugar or sweetener will perk it up, and also jelly or preserves.  


Something I noticed about the sausage.  The brand I've been using, Jimmy Dean, tastes good, but it has 2 carbs per oz.  If you have 2 or 3 patties this adds up when you are limiting yourself to almost no carbs per day.  I read the label finally.  Hey, the ingredient after pork was high fructose corn syrup.  This is double bad.  Then sugar.  Then monosodium glutamate.  Oh no!  No, no, no.  I looked at the label on the JC Potter.  Pork, spices, salt, and finally some sugar.  Zero carbs.  Not really zero, but not much.  


So that's life in Paradise. 






No comments:

Post a Comment