Saturday, March 18, 2023

Barbecue Chicken for Dinner


 

One might suppose to hear about all the wonderful things to eat around here that a lot of gobbling is happening.  I don't think so.  I've been experimenting with my diet to see if it could be improved.  The latest diet is called "The Carnivore Diet."  I tried this a couple of years ago and don't feel that it turned out well for me because of a vitamin/mineral problem after a few weeks.  That was then, this is now.   I'm supplementing vitamins and minerals this time.  


For me to get enough to eat on a carnivore diet takes a surprising amount of fish, chicken, pork or beef.  And I cheat.  I have often eaten a package of hot dogs for breakfast,  or maybe six hardboiled eggs.  Then maybe three chicken quarters for dinner.  The hot dogs are a brand that only contains one gram of carbs per hot dog.  Then I put barbecue sauce on the chicken, but it is sugar free.  


Wow.  Barbecue is messy.  I tried not to be messy.  I even wore a bib.  Well, my clothes are safe, but it's a real wreck trying to eat barbecue.  All over my fingers and quite a bit on my face.  You'd be surprised how little actual chicken is on a chicken quarter.  It's about half bone.  I began to buy chicken quarters because 10 lbs is about $7.  That's a better deal than buying thighs or drumsticks in packages of eight.  I get 10 to 12 quarters in a package for much less per pound for the same thing.  Us carnivores have to choose our battles.  


So how is carnivore going?  I was surprised to test my ketones and see that I'm actually going into ketosis.  I usually have a hard time going into ketosis.  Eating steak doesn't seem to be working very well for me because every time I eat steak, the next morning my glucose is 115 to 130.  Yikes.  Why?  I really don't know.  I've heard that one can make glucose in the liver from protein, but when I eat chicken it doesn't happen.  Well, it's about 103 the next day if I eat chicken.  And the high numbers from steak are after eating dinner by 4:00 pm.  Sometimes eating later in the evening will bother some people.   I think the cattle are fed hormones or grain that winds up triggering glucose when the beef is eaten.  Or possibly it's an allergic reaction to beef.  


What else?  I have actually only been eating every other day.  This may sound impossible, but I haven't been overly hungry.  I've been sleeping well, and feeling OK.   This has been doable so far.   So I don't think I'm being a little piggie.  


Have I lost weight?  That's another thing I don't do.  But I would say I've lost about a pound.  If you do that every week it adds up.  One of the things that interested me about the carnivore diet is that some people, especially Mikhaila Peterson, have done videos on Youtube saying that it caused her rheumatoid arthritis to go into remission.  Have I noticed improvement with RA?  Yes.  This surprised me a lot.  Haven't I tried everything?  Well, I do go into remission on a total fast, but it is surprising that only eating animal protein would have the same effect.   One other improvement has been fasting glucose.  This morning it was 90.  That's more like it.  


So that's life in Paradise today.  





No comments:

Post a Comment