Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Amerigas Hostilities


 


In December I parted ways with Amerigas and found another propane supplier.  I bought a tank instead of renting, and the new company put the Amerigas tank out in the yard near the road.  


A lot of gas seemed to be leaking from the tank, and I had called Amerigas several times to come and take their tank.  Welp, Amerigas  had abandoned their ratty old tank on my property.  


I called Amerigas at their local number, and once again spoke to someone in India.  They said they had no record of me cancelling my account.  So they would look into it.  


So days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months.  I still smelled gas.  So yesterday I called Amerigas again.  I wanted them to come get their tank.  But Amerigas kept putting me on hold and not getting to my call.  Then I called their 800 number to report an emergency gas leak.  Soon Amerigas people were pulling into the driveway.


The Amerigas man said, "We could fix this problem right away with a match."  OK.  That's an Amerigas joke.   He moved closer to me, and began to tell me what beautiful hair I have.  Uh oh.  I moved further away.   My little puppy Spot showed up to share in the excitement.   


I told Mr. Amerigas that I needed the tank removed from my yard, otherwise I would need to sell it.   He told me about the monitor I complained about being installed by "a third party."  I had heard this before from the Amerigas people.  "I saw Amerigas here installing that monitor with my own eyes!"  "Really?"  He seemed honestly surprised.  I don't know what difference that little story made anyway.   Mr. Amerigas told me that it would be very unlikely that the tank would be removed soon.  He said that an international conglomerate, UGI, had purchased the company, and that they had been under the mistaken belief that natural gas and propane are a monopoly, and they could do any mischief they liked to customers, not realizing that the customer can get another supplier.  What!?  Now they had many, many propane tanks all over the land awaiting pickup from all the customers that had quit doing business with them.  There's no system for picking up the tanks.  Neat.   


So once again Amerigas is being a clown.   At least I spoke to an actual Amerigas person this time.  








No comments:

Post a Comment