Saturday, October 29, 2022

Emboldened Prowler


 

At 8:00 am, I was sitting opposite the window air conditioner, getting dressed.  I heard a rattle at the window and assumed a cat was walking on the air conditioner.  That is a place cats like.  I saw movement behind the accordion type pleats on one side of the air conditioner.  Suddenly someone put their hand onto the pleat, and I could clearly see the silhouette of someone's hand for around 10 seconds.  I hid in the closet and peeked out.   The curtains cover the open window, and it would have been difficult to see inside the room, except maybe not impossible.  Someone appeared to be doing that.  


I went out and walked around the house, and saw no one, but the place where I saw the hand was in easy reach.  Putting my open hand on the accordion pleat was a tight fit, making me think this was probably a hand my size or smaller, which would probably be a woman.  


Who would be demented enough to do something like this?   A few people came to mind.  Mother's "friend" Dottie had stayed here with her for a while, so she was familiar with my room.  And probably still felt as if she had some perfect right to trespass on my property.  I asked my mother if she had given her a key.  "No, but she asked me for a key."   Since Dottie had called her a few days ago, I knew she wasn't convinced she is unwelcome.  She almost certainly wants money from my mother, who gave her money in the past because my mother is an easy mark.  Well, someone was here this morning, anyway.  Not a nice person either.   If that was Dottie, she doesn't seem to understand who she's dealing with.   Why would she come here?  Halloween?


This type of window air conditioner looks more secure.  









No comments:

Post a Comment