Monday, April 11, 2022

Parish Rice

 



Comparing Parish rice to regular white rice.  


White rice has 54 g of carbohydrates per serving - 1 cup cooked.  The glycemic index is 73 and almost no fiber.   The same serving of brown rice has 49 g of carbohydrates with a glycemic index of 68, and 3 g of fiber.  Well, that's better I guess, but still high in carbs and having a high glycemic index.  Table sugar has a glycemic index of 65, for example.  


Parish rice has a glycemic index of 41.  To me, this is surprising news.  Parish rice still contains as many carbs as standard white rice, but the higher protein content changes the way the carbs affect the body.  


My blood glucose numbers are OK, but my insulin levels aren't what they should be.  This causes all sorts of problems that I found improved a lot on a ketogenic diet.  One thing that I seldom eat is rice because of the havoc it causes me.   So would Parish rice be any better?  Judging from the glycemic index, it has to be better.  Eating rice is virtually equivalent to eating table sugar, maybe worse.  Most people don't do that.  It's bad for you.  


I bought a bag of Parish rice and put it to the test today.  How did it go?  I took my blood sugar before eating it.  It was 102.  I ate probably 1 cup of cooked Parish rice with butter and a little salt.  It tasted good, just like standard rice.  About an hour later I took my blood sugar again.  169.  Oh no!  That's a spike.  It shouldn't be over 140 an hour after eating.  In fact, it's almost as high as I've ever seen my blood sugar go.  It will do that if I eat pie, for comparison.   This is disappointing.  What is my blood glucose now, 2 hours later?  It's 146 now, still a spike.   This is sad.  


On the other hand, I gave a bowl of Parish rice to my mother.  I tested her blood sugar first.  105.  OK.  An hour after she ate the Parish rice it was 107.  What?  


The good news is, my mother can tolerate Parish rice.  I don't think I'll be eating it again.  At least it's early enough in the day that it won't keep me awake all night.  




No comments:

Post a Comment