Saturday, June 9, 2018

Natto Fail



Recently I was given natto as a gift by my bro.  He's begun eating it, amazingly, because I gave him a book about Vitamin K2, and natto is the number one food source of it.  He said that he has arthritis from an injury in one of his ankles, and guess what?  It went away when he ate natto.  

Oh really?  I too had improvement in arthritis pain after I ate natto and so did my mother.  OK.  We're going to be eating natto.  Or are we?

No one sells natto around here.  I tried to buy it on Amazon.  A company in Connecticut makes it, but it costs a fortune to ship.  I decided to try and make my own.  

I bought natto spores off Amazon and watched a video on Youtube.  I couldn't read any instructions because they were in Japanese.  I did see "100g," "0.1g," "38º," "18 - 20."  100g of probably cooked soybeans.  the amount of natto spores, the temperature in Celsius to culture this at, and probably the number of hours to culture it.  OK.  

I successfully cooked some soybeans.  This is not a given since there are some things one should know about cooking beans.  Rinse them two or three times.  Soak them overnight.  Boil them about 10 minutes and pour off and discard the water from the first boil.  It is actually toxic!  Maybe not deadly, but then again....   And then cook the beans in a pressure cooker for about 35 minutes.  OK fine.  The soybeans smelled surprisingly good when I finished cooking them and I ate some.  They were good.  

I mixed the spores in some warm water and let the soybeans cool for about an hour.  Then I mixed the natto spores into the soybeans and put the whole thing in my yogurt maker to stay warm.  

So today what do I have?  A glop of soybeans.  It sure doesn't look like natto.  I'm going to feed it to Freaky.  

Maybe if people didn't give me instructions in Japanese and tell me the amounts and temperature in metric it would have gone better.  And maybe a food thermometer.  And a prayer.  I guess we'll see.  


No comments:

Post a Comment