Saturday, March 4, 2017

Aunt Helene's Low Carb Pizza Recipe






Recently I saw several Youtube videos on "cauliflower pizza crust."  I decided to try it.  Hmm...   It was good, but it seemed like the crust was too soggy.   The recipes all called for cauliflower, mozzarella cheese and eggs.  

I decided to use parmesan cheese for the crust thinking it would be less moist than mozzarella and I like it.  It's a matter of personal preference and some may like the mozzarella version better.  The two recipes are exactly the same, with the same amounts of everything, the only difference being which cheese one uses.  I suppose one could use other types of cheese also.  So here is my version, and I find the crust thinner and crispier.  

Crust

2 cups grated cauliflower

2 cups grated parmesan cheese (I used pregrated from a plastic bag)

2 eggs

Mix ingredients well.  BE SURE TO PUT PARCHMENT PAPER OR A SILICONE BAKING SHEET on a baking pan or pizza pan.  I used a mesh silicone baking sheet on a baking sheet and surprising it fit perfectly and worked perfectly.  Spread the mixture as thinly as possible on the baking surface and bake at 425º for 15 to 20 minutes or so.  I probably baked it for 30 minutes accidentally and it was just slightly too well done.  If you don't use a silicone sheet or parchment paper the whole thing will stick to the pan.  

Pizza sauce

After the crust is baked, top it with a thin layer of marina or pizza sauce.  Then sprinkle generously with either mozzarella or parmesan cheese, or both.   

Bake at 425º for about 15 minutes.  Viola.  

The sauce is a secret recipe that many have told me is the best they've ever eaten, and can be used as marina sauce on spaghetti or as pizza sauce.  

sauté 1 onion and a few cloves of garlic

1 can Great Value tomato juice 

1 can diced tomatoes  and/or 1 or 2 fresh tomatoes

1 tsp Italian seasoning

1 tsp oregano

2 or 3 bay leaves 

1/4 cup olive oil 

a small amount of artificial sweetener equivalent to about two tablespoons sugar

Bring all the above to a boil and then simmer for about 45 minutes to reduce.  

I recommend Great Value, the Walmart brand, of tomato juice because it only contains tomatoes and salt.  Many other brands have other ingredients I would say detract from the finished produce.   The ones in the plastic containers aren't my preference either.   If some other brand has only tomatoes and salt I would use it.  

I usually peel the tomatoes if I use fresh tomatoes.  This is easily done if one puts them in boiling water for two or three minutes.  Then skin will slip off when pulled a little.   Then I dice them.  

This is an amazingly good pizza and very low in carbs.  

Suppose you don't want to make the sauce.  There are commercially available sauces that don't contain sugar.  

If I make the sauce for spaghetti I also brown 1 pound of hamburger and add it. 

Bon appetit.









No comments:

Post a Comment