Monday, December 28, 2015

My Memoir Day 2


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK1FaXcqUgc







The Second Day 

Life continued to be marvelous.  Somehow, besides an older brother, who was called Bunny, I had picked up a younger sister, who was called Button.  We were playing in the front yard with a yellow ball when my mother appeared carrying a new baby.  This seemed mysterious.  I went inside with her, and she put the baby in my arms.  I had just turned three, so it was nearly impossible to hold her, and I knew I was going to drop her.  Then I would be a bad, bad person.  After a few frightful moments, my mother took her from me.  We called the baby "Baby."   What was I called?  I had an embarrassing name that was usually pronounced "Derl."  

Soon after that we all moved to Atlanta, where my father had a new job with Delta Airlines.  Determined to live la vida loca, we moved into a red rough wood cabin in the woods, with no running water or electricity, and only one room.  It was perched on a steep hill, set on concrete blocks, and the entrance was a set of stairs going up to the side, about a story high.  The inside wasn't finished, and it had a tin roof.  I loved this house.  

My father set about right away putting in a well, pump house, and a kitchen sink.  Then he put up a wall, dividing the house into two rooms, and we had chickens in the back room.  I thought this was perfect.  He also built us bunk beds made of 2 x 4s with ropes tied across them.  On top of the ropes he put blankets.  Voila.  I was OK with that.  I slept on the top bunk.  

So the fun began. 








1 comment: