Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Can Your Dog or Cat Give You the Flu?

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-community/contagious-disease/slideshow/can-your-dog-or-cat-make-you-sick


About three weeks ago my dog came down with pneumonia.  I've never seen a dog catch pneumonia before, but that was his diagnosis at the vet.  I didn't think he would survive, but he's as good as new. 

However, this week the cat came down with pneumonia, too.  Come on!  That's never happened either.  The cat hasn't quite recovered, but it looks like he, too, will survive if he gets to stay in the house at night until next summer. 

Both of them were clearly in critical condition, and the cat is a young cat.  

It occurred to me that I might be the next one with pneumonia, but I heard over and over that the flu is species specific.  This site also says that, and that you will not get the flu from your dog or cat.  

Then who gave me pneumonia?

If the dog were my sister, everyone would assume that I caught the flu from her.  And I'm not the last victim either.  Others are coughing and saying their throats hurt.  I was the first of my species.  

So this virus seems to have jumped to three species a lot like the flu.  That is weird.  

I was so concerned about the dog that every time he got out of his bed I gave him a little treat.  He's much happier now, and expects a constant stream of treats.   The cat feels happier too, because he was a stray that had not made his way past occasional charity.  Now suddenly he's a house cat. 

I expect to recover. 




No comments:

Post a Comment