Sunday, April 8, 2018

Chickadees Make a Big Mistake




I decided to go for a walk this afternoon.  The kitty wanted in, but she wanted to decide first.  So I left the door wide open to let her in when she made up her mind.  No, she thought she would just follow me.  

When I came back inside, there was a commotion in the kitchen.  Two chickadees, let's just call them Fluffy and Feathers, were attempting to get back outside by flying out the kitchen window, which is in a corner.  Since it was closed and had a screen, it wasn't working.  I opened the kitchen door again and hoped they would find their way out.  But they did not.  They were convinced the window was their only salvation.  One of them had a little twig in its mouth to build its nest with.  I suppose they imagined the house would be the perfect place to build it.  

In the meantime the kitty was dazzled by the birdlettes, and planning her attack.  I left the door open, and took the kitty back to the bedroom.   Hopefully the chickadees would come to their senses by the time I came back.  

But no, chickadees never come to their senses.  They had hoped I would abandon my house and they could make it their new home, but flew back into a panic at the window when I reappeared.  Hmmm.  Well, maybe if I shooed them away from the window.  

Feathers flew everywhere.  Everywhere but outside.  Fluffy somehow discovered the door.  Feathers made a last stand at the window, and suddenly fell into the sink, and struggled a bit, then collapsed.  What?  Did he have a heart attack?  What happened?  

I took a paper towel and wrapped up Feathers and took him outside and put him on the bench.  He moved some in my hand, but when I put him on the bench, he lay there motionless, except for breathing, on his back with his feet up in the air.  

I said a prayer for him and went back inside.  I looked out the window, but there he still lay unconscious.  Half an hour later he was still there not moving.  Oh well.  

Then about an hour after that, I came back to see if he had come to.  Yes, Feathers came to and flew away, probably with a terrible headache.  


No comments:

Post a Comment