Monday, October 5, 2015

Food Storage 2

I've been shopping on the internet for some of the items I feel would be good for long term storage of food.  I was very encouraged by what I found.  I went to store.lds.com, or maybe .org. It's the Latter Days Saints site, some say the Mormons.  They strongly encourage their members to store food, and so they have facilitated that by having stores where you can buy bulk food.  For about $35 I bought 30 lbs of wheat berries in #10 cans.  This is a good price.  Then I decided I wanted egg white powder, and found myself being directed to health food store and body builder stores.  Still they were all out of egg white powder.  Then I went to Honeyville, but they were out of everything, and their prices were too high.  Finally I went to Walmart.com, and found Augason Farms, which had all kinds of great storage food.  One that I like is a canned tomato powder that you make into a tomato sauce for marinara sauce or chili.  And they did have powdered egg whites, but they mixed them with vanilla.  But I found an egg and milk drink that sounds good using egg white and whey powder to give good protein for muscle building.  The LDS site had only a small offering, but it was the most important.  A case of beans is 30 lb of beans, and it costs about $35.  One person needs a minimum of 300 lb of beans for a year.  Well, for maybe $400 they can buy it there.  Other places charged more.  I began to feel very hopeful about my project.  I found a milk substitute called Morning Moo and ordered it.  I'm allergic to milk.  I bought a large can of popcorn, intending to grind it into fresh cornmeal which makes out of this world hushpuppies and tortilla chips.  But it makes good popcorn too.  I bought some cheese powder to sprinkle of the popcorn.  And I bought canned tuna, and canned lima beans.  I really feel proud of myself for accomplishing so much.  There's another internet company called IFS Bulk that I ordered from.  They have their own nitch selling seeds, nuts, beans, and grains, and also dried fruit.  I bought a package of dates, some beans, some grain, and I was especially impressed with the nuts.  I bought 3 lb of pistachios, and 3 lb of sunflower seeds, hulled, and also 3 lb of roasted peanuts.  They're really delicious and fresh.  So just for everyday life I'm glad to have found a good source for nuts and dried fruit and grains.  

No comments:

Post a Comment