Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Update on Paradise




Today in Paradise:

Not long ago I decided to start checking my glucose.  I checked it a lot.  Before I ate, after I ate, when I woke up.  And it was something that was giving me unfortunate results.  Usually it was over 100 when I woke up, which is wrong, wrong, wrong.  Then I decided to get a ketone monitor, since for a long time I have followed a ketogenic diet but it wasn't delivering results.  

This is an update on the results of my recent efforts at a carnivore/alternate day fasting diet.  I had several reasons for doing this.  I decided that fiber is my problem, for the moment, so I added no fiber to my low carb diet, which equals the carnivore diet.  It's really a nice diet, because I enjoy steakos.  However, some said they eat cruciferous vegetables on the carnivore diet.  That I don't do, because that was exactly what I was already doing that wasn't working.  

But then I saw a video by Butter Makes Your Pants Fall Off on Youtube saying that alternate day fasting for 22 days has been shown to lower insulin resistance by 68%.  I'm in! I thought.  So that's what I've been doing.  

This is my third round of fasting, making it Day 6 of this plan.  How's it working?  It actually does work!

The first difference is that I have slept so much better since I've been doing this.  I slept wonderfully for several nights.  I had been tossing and turning and feeling tired all day.  It was worth it just for that.  

The second difference is that I'm finally in solid ketosis. My meter had read 0.3.  Now it reads between 1.8 and 5.8.  

Yes, I've lost weight, about ??  I don't know.  Yesterday I was 1/2 a pound less than the day before.  

Finally, the most surprising thing to me.  My fasting blood sugar is down to 98 from 106.  The doctor told me not to worry about the 106, but I think it is cause for concern.  This is prediabetes.  And that was after all my effort at a ketogenic diet.  According to the video, and this appears to be true in my case, some of us cannot control blood sugar by diet alone.  It requires fasting.  

It may seem difficult to fast every other day.  I haven't found it to be too hard, and I am really happy with my progress.  At the end of the 22 days I am not sure of the plan.  Maybe fast every three or four days or something.  I can't imagine it will be as simple as just going back to a ketogenic diet like a normal person would do.  

Oh, I also bought a little oxygen monitor for my finger.  I use it to see where I'm at with high intensity interval training.  I have a stepping machine, and I like it because it will csuse huffing and puffing like nothing else, and really elevate the heart rate, at the same time being gentle on the legs and joints.  So far I use it for a minute or so for a warm up, then knock myself out for thirty seconds at a heart rate of 150 beats a minute, rest for 4 (four) minutes, and repeat.  Surprisingly, I'm wasted after that, even though it doesn't seem like much.  I want to increase this to four rounds of the thirty seconds at 150 beats a minute, and do that three times a week.  

So far my diet and exercise has resulted in my oxygen levels going from 95 to 97.  

So finally success on the health front.  And that's life in this corner of paradise today.  

PS. Also when I woke up my blood pressure was 117/76.  

No comments:

Post a Comment