Saturday, November 25, 2017

Fasting Day 2




I've tried all the wisdom on healthy diets and weight loss.  There is never any weight loss though.  People tell me what I'm doing wrong.   Is this fast to make up for all the goobling at Thanksgiving?  No, I went to a restaurant for Thanksgiving.  I ate the piece of turkey loaf they served, and that was it for the day.  The day before I had eaten an entire box of Stovetop Stuffing with gravy.  That may seem like a lot, but for the two days I ate less than 1000 calories a day.  Then after all that I fasted.  The result?  Today I was one pound heavier than Wednesday morning.  

It's not the first time I've gained weight fasting.  That's impossible!  No.  I've complained about this before to doctors.  I gained weight once eating 600 calories a day.  "No, I assure you, you did not," he answered.  Yes, I did.   What is causing this?  

Some will say water weight, as if I never thought of that.  Also as if the ridicule for gaining water weight is minimal.  And in the belief that it will soon disappear.  Probably not.  

Conversely, I've had the experience of going on a trip to somewhere that I feel better generally, and eating as much as I could possibly eat the whole time, then coming home and finding that I had lost 10 pounds.  I think it would be a good idea to get to the bottom of this.  

If you've heard the news lately, they bemoan the fact that at least one third of the people in the country are obese.   It wasn't that way in the 50's.  What happened?   Looking at the map, there are harder hit places than others - especially around the middle of the country.  One used to hear that only Colorado wasn't obese, and they would go on to explain that this was because all the mountains in Colorado made people exercise more, or else the people there were just naturally more athletic.   Sure.  It is true that enough exercise makes a difference, but that isn't because you're in Colorado.  

I know from my own experience what is causing this.  I have inhalant allergies, and these allergies are much worse in some parts of the country, and much better in others, especially mountains and seacoasts.  And what do these allergies do?  They cause adrenaline to rush constantly, and cortisol levels to increase.  And?  And insulin levels to increase.  The air causes insulin resistance even on a fast?  Yes.  

How does that translate into Colorado having a lower obesity rate? Because the air is better there due to the mountains.  Look at Memphis, Tennessee, one unfortunate place from an obesity standpoint.  Where is it?  In the river valley of the Mississippi River.  All the dank air from the nation collects there.   But then how does that make inhalant allergies and obesity worse than in the 50's?  I suppose that would be due to other factors, like the processed food diet and environmental allergies from use of toxins in building materials.   Am I saying we're being poisoned?  Exactly.   Then what to do?  

I think the solution is to do what you can.  Lately the new mantra is intermittent fasting.   One allows themselves a window of time during the day to eat, like between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm.  I think this is a good idea, because when one eats, the body responds with insulin.  Insulin prevents the use of stored fat as an energy source for the body.  Therefore, reduced frequency of eating equals reduced insulin equals less body fat.  

A lot of people believe that obesity causes disease, like heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and cancer.  I believe that obesity is a symptom.  First one has insulin resistance, and the increased levels of insulin cause all the diseases plus obesity.  Besides that, many people blame obese people for ruining their own health.  I don't think that's true either.  Were we all better people 50 years ago?  I doubt it.   Increased insulin resistance is the problem. 

So one way or the other the solution is fasting, even though some of the other factors are not addressed, like perfection not being achieved in inhalant allergies.   At least the one great factor can be turned around, which is towering insulin levels.  








No comments:

Post a Comment