Friday, May 19, 2017

Chilis Jalapeños a la Hélène









A friend of mine gave me a recipe for chilis rellanos which she said was authentic Mexican since she knew these things, being from California.  Well, it's yummy anyway.  I'm not sure why she felt diced green chilis were the way, and not whole green chilis.  Possibly it depended on what was at the grocery that day.  

But, as it turned out, when I tried to make this recipe I had trouble getting the ingredients.  There were no green chilis at the store, and they didn't stock them.  She used cream in the recipe because this is a low carb recipe and cream is low carb.  They were out of cream too!  I studied the cheeses to find the one she recommended - oh, here is it.  Fiesta Mexican shredded cheese.  It has three or four cheeses and it's delicious.  

So what to do?  I substituted some things and came up with my own version, which is not authentic Mexican probably.  The store had canned whole jalapeños, which some people find too hot.  

I opened the jalapeño peppers and removed the seeds and soaked the peppers in water a couple of minutes.  I was also careful to remove the little stem inside the pepper that the seeds are attached to.  This calmed down the jalapeños a lot.  





CHILIS JALAPENOS A LA HELENE



preheat oven to 375º

one can jalapeño chilis either whole or diced (and either small or large can depending on personal preference)

2 cup package Mexican blend shredded cheese

one cup sour cream or whipping cream

three eggs

In a baking dish, about 6" X 9", (I use glass), put a layer of jalapeños, prepared as I explained above.  Beat the eggs like scrambled eggs, then mix the eggs, cheese and cream together.  Pour this on top of the jalapeños.  Bake about 40 minutes.  

(I don't use the tomato sauce in the photo.)

Num num num 










No comments:

Post a Comment