Saturday, July 23, 2016

Stun gun for pain relief







I bought a stun gun several years ago for protection when I walked alone on a local nature trail.  Besides giving a measure of protection against evil people, it was good to scare off animals, especially dogs, that sometimes menaced me.  On top of that, I have read it will neutralize snakebites.  

I intentionally bought the lowest voltage stun gun I could find, 45,000 volts, so that if I used it on myself to treat a snakebite it would be less of an ordeal.  

And did it ever come to that?  No, I was never bitten by a snake, however, I was bitten by a poisonous spider, and yes, I used the stun gun on the bite.  I waited for several days, hoping I would get better, but instead, the bite got worse and worse.  So I stunned it with the stun gun once.  Immediately I felt relief from the pain level, and so just to be sure I stunned the area five times.  Voila.  Just like I had heard, the poison stopped and I completely recovered. 

Was it painful?  Yes, some.  As a child I lived near a pasture with an electric fence to keep cows in, and all the children thought it was entertaining to hold onto the wire and shock themselves.  Once.  It wasn't that painful.  It wasn't as painful as the spider bite.  That was my experience.  

I still have a low level stun gun, and considering how much it helped the pain from the spider bite, I decided to try it on my knee pain.  I stunned the top of my knee five times, and then the back of my knee.  Yes, it reduced the pain a lot.  Why?  Who knows.  It would be nice to think it reduced inflammation, or whatever was going on.  It probably just interrupted the pathway of the pain along the nerves to the brain.  But either way, it did a good job relieving pain.  Why not just take aspirin?  This is beyond aspirin.  Aspirin helps some, so do prescription pain pills, but I don't want to use them.  

Wasn't I afraid?  Yes, the first time I tried it I was afraid.  I had heard all sorts of danger stories about stun guns.  These stories are over inflated.  In some bizarre, rare instances stun guns can be dangerous, but I have no heart condition or pacemaker or epilepsy.  The pain wasn't that much, and certainly not as much as the pain I was already enduring.  

And how long did the relief last?  Well, this is the first time I used it on my knee so I don't know yet.  I imagine it will probably last a day. 

Time to celebrate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment